Tuesday, June 1, 2010

FATHER Rolling

Congratulations Father Rolling!  We love you back here in Waynesboro!  Whenever you pray Eucharistic Prayer I and say "Andrew" - think of us! 

New photos just posted - thought I'd share them with you - and a link to photos of the Mass of Thanksgiving. 

 
What a wonderful weekend in Lincoln, Nebraska (except for the flight home, but I'll tell you about that later).  Everything was wonderful - and (then) Deacon Rolling was a LITTLE nervous and anxious about his pending ordination.  Friday evening Bishop Bruskewitz ordained 3 men deacons (and our Deacon Rolling proclaimed the Gospel as he did so often here in Waynesboro).

Saturday morning came and the big hour had arrived.  By chance (which I don't believe in - only Divine Providence), I was seated direcly behind Deacon Rolling during the ceremony - and had a great view of all 4 of the men being ordained as they were renewing their promises of OBEDIENCE and then as they lay prostrate before the altar in the Cathedral of the Risen Christ in Lincoln.  (Remember, this is where I told you I was thinking, "there's still time to run...").  Well, I'm glad I didn't - and I'm glad our dear FATHER Rolling didn't either.  Soon after rising from the cathedral floor, Bishop Bruskewitz laid hands on him (and the other 3 ordanandi), and all of us priests followed.  That is a profound moment of awareness - an awareness of the real brotherhood of the priesthood - all your brother priests laying hands on you, praying for you, pledging their support for you - it's VERY powerful.  Then, after begin vested in the vestments of a priest, his hands were anointed to perform his sacred duties.  Then all us priest welcomed the newly ordained into the priesthood with a sign of peace.
Following the ordination was a reception, during which Father Rolling offered "first blessings" to guests - there is a Plenary Indulgence attached to the first priestly blessing of a newly ordained priest - and the custom is that you kiss the palms of his hands where they were anointed - a sign of the reverence for the Priesthood and those hands that have been consecrated to preform their sacred duties.  Father wore the stole which the Knights of Columbus and the Council of Catholic Women purchased for him as a gift from the them and the people of Saint Andrew the Apostle Parish.  Later that night a reception for family and friends.
Sunday afternoon was the Mass of Thanksgiving (often called the "First Mass" - but the true first Mass is the ordination - when the new priest concelebrates Mass with the Bishop).  It is during this Mass that the new Father Rolling presided for the first time - and it did it like a pro!  I was honored to be asked to take one of the concelebrant parts.  Then after a quick "congratulations" I headed out toward the airport.

Now, the airport story - it was Monday morning, driving nicely from Nebraska toward Kansas City (it was much cheaper to fly there than into Lincoln itself).  Flight was delayed leaving Kansas City due to storms in Chicago.  No problem, I had a 3-hour layover anyway.  But then the problems began - MASSIVE delays and cancellations in Chicago.  After being delayed from 4:30 to 6:30 to 7pm to 8pm - my flight back to Harrisburg was finally CANCELED.  Then the chaos began.  No other flights that night back home - so I was STUCK in Chicago - thinking I'd need to find the airport bench without arms so I could at least stretch out and get a little bit of sleep before my re-scheduled 6:30am departure for Harrisburg.  

In the end, I was able to get a local hotel room and get a FEW hours of sleep before waking up at 3am to get back to the airport for my flight.  Everything today went without a hitch, but... man!  That flying back was not fun!

But being there for Father Rolling made the whole trip worth while!  

1 comment: