Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chaplain School Update



Just checking in from Air Force Basic Chaplain Corps College - things are going GREAT!  It's a very different experience from Commissioned Officer Training - where training day 1 began with the drill sergeant kicking our doors and screaming at 4:30am.  I still get up at 4:30 to go run in the mornings, but our first report time, for us priests, is 7:20am to celebrate Mass together.  Then, classes begin.  I must admit that it gets to be a very long day sitting in the classroom all day long (I'm just not used to that - I'm used to being up and about - sitting for 8 hours a day is not an easy thing to do - thus the photo).

We've been learning all kinds of practical and useful things - not only for my ministry with the Air Force, but for "civilian" ministry as well.  We been learning counseling techniques & theory, how to minister to different age groups, suicide prevention, marriage care, marriage preparation, military funerals - all along with the Air Force regulations and requirements.  This photo was taken during our counseling course - and I was acting out how a hypothetical "client" felt about his situation - detached and isolated. 

Sometime later this week we'll do a "bag drag" - where we are put on alert for a fake deployment - and then, after a recall, we'll be going out into the field for 4-5 days where we'll set up a chapel and minister to the soldiers and airmen we meet there.  Weather's actually been pretty nice!  Hot from time to time, but this morning it's in the 60's (cooler than it's been - so that's not normal) - it was almost chilly on my run this morning.

All is well here.  Although I am missing all of you.  I'll be home soon!  Know that I hold you all in my prayers!

Welcome Father Thoms when he arrives this week!

Learning to fold the U.S. Flag during Military Funeral Practicum class.

No comments:

Post a Comment