Saturday, March 31, 2012

Why is it Important to Stand Up for Religious Liberty?

During WW II, many people just didn't want to get involved in the political debates - but had they gotten involved at the start, perhaps things would have been different.  Following the war, Pastor Martin Niemöller addressed the US Congress and made this statement.  It might help us understand why it is important to stand up and speak out when people are being oppressed or persecuted or denied their basic (religious) rights:

The exact text of what Martin Niemoller said, and which appears in the Congressional Record, October 14, 1968, page 31636 is:

"When Hitler attacked the Jews
I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,
I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,
I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.
Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --
and there was nobody left to be concerned."

1 comment:

  1. This Lutheran pastor stands with you. We need to stand together on this.
    the Rev'd Jeffrey Goodman
    Ephrata PA
    www.salemephrata.org

    ReplyDelete