Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Father Bateman Sworn in as Captain in PA Air National Guard

On Saturday morning, I was finally sworn in as a Chaplain and member of the Pennsylvania Air National Guard.  The Base Chaplain, Lt. Col. Richard Dennison, swore me in.  A number of family and friends were able to join me at the headquarters of the 193rd Special Operations Wing located at the Harrisburg International Airport including my mom and step-dad and my brother and his wife; Paul & James Clement, Dan Pierce & Andrew Knepper (all from St. Andrew) and families from my former parishes of Sacred Heart in Lewistown and St. Joseph's in Hanover.

With these simple words, it all happened: "I, John Bruce Bateman, Jr, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and of the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; that I make this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Captain in the National Guard of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania upon which I am about to enter, so help me God."

My thanks to everyone in our parish for their support and encouragement as I take on this additional responsibility to minister to the men and women who defend our nation's freedom as members of the 193rd SOW of the Pa Air National Guard.

A ceremonial swearing in is being planned for the parish... stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. We are very proud of you! We know you will be a tremendous asset for our military men and women.

    ReplyDelete