Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vatican Responds to death of Osama Bin Laden

Today the Vatican's spokesman, Federico Lombardi, S.J., released this statement on the death of Osama Bin Laden.

"Osama bin Laden, as we all know, bore the most serious responsibility for spreading divisions and hatred among populations, causing the deaths of innumerable people, and manipulating religions for this purpose.

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred."

It certainly is a measured and careful response from the Vatican.  I've had a number of people approach me and ask if this death was justified.  To be honest, it's a very difficult question.

One thing I can say is that I feel very uncomfortable watching people rejoice in the streets of Washington and New York.  As the Vatican statement said, "a Christian never rejoices in the face of a man's death."  In fact, these videos remind me of the ones we saw immediately after 9/11 - as people who do not support or understand the United States were rejoicing after the Twin Towers fell in New York - aren't we supposed to be better than that?

I've been trying to apply the "Catholic Just War Theory" to the situation.  I found this video - I wish I could discover who he is - which describes the Just War Theory and asks some questions for personal reflection.

I'll continue to pray and discern - and talk to others - about the death of Osama and keep you informed.  Until then, may God have mercy on his soul...

No comments:

Post a Comment