Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is Lent all about Sacrifice - or is it about Love?

This is the question that I've been pondering in my prayer as late - and if you've been listening to me preach the past week, you know that. I always used to think of Lent as that time that I "gave up" ice cream or chocolate - when I suffered and sacrificed. But now, perhaps it's age, I don't see it as sacrifice and suffering anymore - oh, sure, it's still there. However, now Lent is much more about learning better how to LOVE. Isn't that really what the cross was all about?

Jesus' death on the cross was the ultimate expression of His Love for us. His Paschal Sacrifice on Calvary is the way that He proves His total, life-giving, sacrificial Love for each of us. Our sharing in the cross is, then, our way of loving Him in return.

In the Gospel this morning, Jesus tells us to "take up our cross daily and follow Him." DAILY we need to embrace the cross - not just the big things, but the very little things every day. Embracing the cross, lovingly, is the way to true happiness and joy - and ultimately, holiness. I found this in my prayerbook today, the little one I read every day:

"One of the clearest symptoms of lukewarmness having entered into a soul is...an abandoning of the Cross, a contempt for little mortifications, a scorning of anything that in some way involves sacrifice and self-denial. On the other hand, to flee from the Cross is to turn one's back on holiness and joy; because one of the fruits of the mortified soul is just this capacity to relate to God and other people, and also a profound peace, even in the midst of tribulations and exsternal difficulties. The person who abandons mortification is inevitably ensnared by his senses and become incapable of any supernatural thought." In Conversation with God; Volume 2; Page 8.

That's what we want to AVOID this Lent - forgetting the Cross. This is what our Lenten Penances and Sacrifices are about - to learn to LOVE the Cross - to become Holy - to follow in Jesus' steps each day, carrying our own crosses.

1 comment:

  1. Father Bateman, I am really glad you have this Blog for the parish. This particular post, as well as the others, is a really great way to sharpen our focus this Lenten Season. I find these posts a great aide to my personal prayer life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete